Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Things My Mama Said




As implied by the title, I have learned a lot from my mother. God blessed me when He gave me to this woman. She is very wise and full of knowledge, all of it useful, but some more relevant than the rest.



My mom always talked to me and my sister, willing to explain the "why" behind her actions. Except for a brief time while I was 15 years old, I usually was on the same side as my mama. And she has been a great ally.



The older I get, the more I appreciate her teachings. She was right many more times than she was wrong. I find myself drawing on the things that she taught me as I deal with daily problems, and even with bizarre problems.



Here are some of the most memorable things that she has said.


  1. Any man worth having has three things: tools that he knows how to use, a pickup truck and a chainsaw

  2. If you always ask for what you have always asked for, then you'll always get what you've always got

  3. You'll get over it (whatever "it" was) before you're married twice

  4. Pretty is as pretty does

  5. You'll never get a job / husband / education / house (fill in blank) if you have sex before you are married (please note: I guarantee that there will be several individual blogs around this one)

  6. No one stands by you like your family

  7. Sleeping naked doesn't get you anything except a bed full of pubic hair

All these have served me well the last several decades. They have served well those with whom I have shared them.

No comments:

Post a Comment