Thursday, July 17, 2008

"....Aunts...are back in fashion because they are necessary."



I had a great night last night. I visited my sister and her family, including my two nieces and my nephew. They are beautiful, healthy and happy children, and I have loved them since they drew their first breaths. I love being their Aunt Cristy!




Being with them last night reminded me of how lucky I have been in the aunt department. My mother is one of seven daughters, and my dad had one sister, blessing me with 7 aunts in my life. As a result, I have spent my life surrounded by women. Aunts, a sister, my mother, female cousins. It creates a rhythm, routines, it helps to shape your sense of humor, your expectations of who you're going to be when you grow up, who you're going to marry, even what you will do on Sundays.




While my aunts shared similar qualities (least of which was that they loved all their nieces and nephews as much as I love mine), they also each had their own special qualities that made them unique and remarkable. I received some special gift from each of them -- a love of reading and books, a distinctive laugh, a sarcastic sense of humor. Aunts were never out of fashion with me, but have always been necessary. All hail our Aunts! Lexi, Brady & Cali -- your Aunt Cristy loves you!




1 comment:

  1. Cristy Elder, you are so funny, and I can see why there is probably never a dull moment at your family reunions and holiday get togethers!! You all are so fortunate to have each other, and I look forward to reading all about your unique family!!

    ReplyDelete