Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Here's Your Sign


I got this tweet the other day that said "God Prefers Kind Atheists Over Hateful Christians?" and had this picture attached.
 source: http://www.purechristiangraphicdesign.com/god-prefers-kind-atheists-hateful-christians/

I have thought about this a lot since I saw it, trying to decide exactly what I think about it.  And for me, there really isn't an easy answer.

There are few things that make me more upset than self-professed Christians that act like they don't even like their fellow humans.  They judge, they ridicule, they hold grudges, they are selfish with their time and material possessions.  They do not act like Christ at all.  These Christians are the ones that inspired Mahatma Gandhi to say
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ"
When I think about these people, I wonder how anyone chooses to follow Christ if these people are their example.  I can't help but think that the God that I have read about in the Bible is very hurt and disappointed by the people who proclaim to believe in Him but act so opposite to His commands.

Back to the sign.  I can't say that I believe that God prefers people who actively choose not to believe in Him to hateful Christians, as disappointed as He may be.  I would rewrite the sign to read as follows:

God is as hurt by hateful Christians as by atheists

Either one isn't the path that He would choose for us.

One thing is for sure:  This sign made me think and that is a good thing.



1 comment:

  1. I love it; best one yet! Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete