Friday, December 19, 2008

Best Gifts




My co-worker went to his 5-year old's Christmas pageant today. When he returned to work, he regaled us all with stories of how Donovan and his fellow kindergartner students performed. The students decided that, like the Magi, they would give Jesus presents and were instructed to give Jesus the things that they love the best. They drew pictures of their gifts and told the audience what they were giving to Jesus. Many gave their favorite dolls, their Wiis, their plasma TVs, even their little sister -- because those are the things that they love best.






I had to laugh at the student that gave his little sister. I would have given up my little sister, as well, when I was in kindergarten, but not because she was the thing that I loved best, but because she was disrupting my world. Until Ashleigh was born, I was queen of the world, top of the heap, the cat's meow -- you get the picture. And suddenly, I was sharing the spot-light. The applause wasn't just for me any more.






I would like to say that I quickly got over my sibling jealousy and embraced my new sister. But, I didn't. For most of my young life, I struggled with my need to be the family "It Girl". Luckily, I took a big dose of the antidote known as time and maturity. By my late teens, I had learned what a treasure I have in my sister.






Ashleigh is someone that I love beyond words. She has grown up to be an amazing mother and a tremendous woman. She exhibits strength, confidence and a serenity that I have always admired (and often envied). When I observe her with her children, I am moved by her wisdom and her patience. She is a woman that I am proud to know -- and I am lucky enough to be her sister.




I applaud the young kindergarten student who gave Jesus his little sister -- sounds like he learned much earlier than I did to cherish his sister. Hope that he continues to cherish his sister, because sisters are treasures, better than any gold, frankincense and myrrh.

No comments:

Post a Comment